PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who sets the standards?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2007, 00:03
yamada

Who sets the standards?

Imagine a large flying school which teaches solely PPLs. This school is run by a committee. It utilises one full-time instructor (its CFI). All other instruction is provided by self-employed FIs.

Now, imagine that an influential member of the Club's committee intimated to the self-employed Flight Examiners that it was not in the commercial interests of the club for candidates to fail Skill Tests....with the implication that, "if you want to continue working here...." In effect, the Flying Club is now dictating the standards, not JAR FCL.

Imagine that the Club's CFI had stated that he "had never failed a candidate" and that the mere fact that they present for test is evidence of their suitability to hold a licence.

If you were one of the self-employed Flight Examiners, what would be your response? Would you shut up for fear of losing work, or would you conform with the club's demands?

I would contend that the present system, w.r.t. Flight Examinations, is seriously flawed. Most pilots know who are the "pushovers", don't we; and we can arrange to be tested by them? But, more importantly, the system is tailored towards abuse by the flying schools.

I would like to propose that all applications for Skill Test etc, are made centrally and that the Authority delegates an examiner to the candidate. This system would be bureaucratic (a bit), but would offer some protection against the current abuses. Such a system would also allow Flight Examiners to charge appropriately for their services, ie, in line with the Scheme of Charges.

There would be an admin cost, but that could be met by a small increase in the fees payable for licence or rating issue.

What do you guys think? Is the current system a bit rotten, as I believe?