PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey
Thread: Guernsey
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2007, 21:10
J-Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GCIJ32
Do we know if Flymaybe or Aurigny are going to be offering any more routes, because at the moment route development seems to be rather stagnant in the island, even considering the fact the the Guernsey Government is willing to fund new routes to quite a significant level.
I think there a number of new destinations that Guernsey could support but I doubt that there will be much progress unless the cost structure of the airport is addressed. Routes are difficult enough to develop and sustain without the additional charges that Guernsey imposes. Whilst current routes are safe, and Guernsey States are considering offering route funding, it is difficult to envisage expansion at the moment.

Flybe seemingly adhere to this position, the loss of the Norwich route is a good example, and I would imagine it is the same for Aurigny who seem content with operating lifeline routes. The States, as Aurigny’s owner, could influence new routes, but there is currently little the business sense in doing so.

But Guernsey is being more proactive in attempting to develop new routes, as their proposal to subsidise a Paris link shows. Flybe have said they are in discussion with Guernsey authorities to develop new routes, but with the airline’s current expansion it would be unlikely that Guernsey is in the receiving line for new routes for at least this year.

Optimistically, Blue Islands are obviously looking to expand, which offers good prospects for air-links. Likewise, there is a new Munich charter this summer with Lufthansa Regional, which expands tourist connections.