PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - considering a CPL / I.R provider
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2007, 18:38
Funkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A330 Dreamer,

I can’t see any other benefit. In fact, I’d think it’s a hindrance. Whilst I agree the first part of the course is revision, hence shouldn’t be that difficult, operating a complex will bring a further step in your learning process which at CPL level you should be able to deal with. I’d go with the full course on the complex type – you’ll be better prepared at test time and it’ll show.

The IR – totally agree with swervin'mervin, in that Bristol will tailor the course to suit your needs. An excellent school, with equally excellent instructors. The sim is there to teach you the principles of Instrument flying and get you up to speed with a/c performance, and that’s the best place for it in my opinion.

I did the IR before the CPL, hence a 55hr course – 30 in the sim and 25 in the Seneca. Seemed to work well for me, apart from Cardiff playing silly buggers – oops, not bitter…! After that, did the CPL in the Seneca as I already knew how to fly it, i.e. speeds, power settings, handling characteristics etc.. and didn’t see the point taking a step back to the Arrow. No regrets.

If you’ve any questions, just ask/PM….

sam34,

A likeness between sim and a/c will reduce the transition between the two, ie switches, controls, radios etc are all in the same place and look/feel the same. Not a deal breaker by any means, but does help.