PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inflight Emergency - Land at all cost?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2007, 16:27
Vibrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inflight Emergency - Land at all cost?

I have just returned from my LPC/LOFT simulator check. During the LOFT we were given a cargo hold fire. We went through the checklist but the light remained on even after discharging the bottle in the hold.

The weather was marginal, CAT 1 minima but the cloud base was borderline. I briefed that whether or not we are visual, we shall land the plane (autoland). At minima we did not see any lights but as briefed we landed. I ordered an evacuation and that was the end.

Since the LOFT is not a check, we discussed the excercise. The instructor said that the decision whether to land or go around is indeed very subjective but would have done the same in real life.

I kept (still am) thinking about it. The only thing that is bothering me was the visibility factor. So here comes my question.

Should we still land (visual or not at minima) and evacuate in marginal to poor visibility conditions? My line of thought is that I'd better be on the ground where some help 'might' be readily available rather than to go around.

Would apppreciate your feedback on the matter.