PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - considering a CPL / I.R provider
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2007, 13:30
horsebox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few things I would consider,

- Will you be training full or part time, some schools are more geared up for one or the other. look for good student: instructor ratio 1:2 or 1:3 say.

- CPL or IR first - pro's and con's to both, have a search and you will see the different views

- Do you want to include the ME rating as part of the CPL (if you choose to do that first), or do it as a stand alone as part of hour building, or do it via another route..

- Does the sim bear a close resmblence to the aircraft for the IR. Alot of fnptII types are perhaps based on a king air and reconfigured to act like a Duchess or similar, whereas some schools sim's, although maybe not as flash are based in layout and setup on the actual ir training aircraft they have. Whats sim availability like, if it is also used for MCC type courses, you may find it unavailable at key times.

- Personally i would try and find some where with good balance of sim to aircraft time and as much time on the twin you will use for the ir test as possible. 25hr/25hr is good, 30hrsim 20hr a/c not bad, 35 sim 15 a/c - maybe not so great. Depends on your background and experience what you are comfortable with.

- CPL/IR involves larger sums of money. Be careful how you pay. Don't pay big sums up front.