PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2007, 02:18
Litebulbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was doing a wiki search a few nights ago and followed a few links and ended up at British Caledonian. I'm 3rd generation BCal and after reading the wiki entry I am proud that I am. Do you know, that through the hard times of the 70's and early 80's, they did not loose one day to industrial action. Right up until the end, they turned a respectable profit and had some of the highest paid employees in the business. Oil, Africa and a few dodgy tricks by flag carriers killed them off, but that is the free market. You can pay your staff well and return a profit. You can be a flexible employee and add to that profit.

It comes down to respect. Neither side at BA respect each other. The impression I get from Virgin, is that they do. Why is that? Is it because Mr Branson has fought for his airline for 20 years and kept them going; well grown them into a market leading airline? I would say yes! The possibilities for BA are endless. It should be a win win. Both pilots and cabin crew are paid at least market rate and a fair percentage are paid market leading wages. BA is a massive company witha great route network. It still does carry the flag for everything that is British and should exploit that.

Neither side in this problem are winning the hearts of the people. What may happen from this, is that a cash rich, OIL rich nation may pop in and aquire all that is British Airways and it will all be over. In 20 years time another Ppruner could be typing an answer to a thread, but not sayin that they were proud to be a 3rd generation BA employee, you know, that company that is now owned by Emirates!