PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 17th Jan 2007, 02:05
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bermudatriangle

remoak,you are a bit hard on the Bacon guys,none of this fiasco is their fault
I'm not being hard on them at all, simply facing the facts - and I absolutely agree with what you are saying. Sadly this is a business decision, and I for one have been here before. In my previous experience, the single biggest deciding factor in how staff were treated, was pension liability. The purchasing company, in order to reduce the size of this liability (potentially worth many millions), deliberately made staying with them unattractive. The more that left, the better the position for the purchasing company. And what sort of shape is the BA pension fund in? I can't imagine that they are unhappy about losing some or all of that liability - it goes a long way to explain the size of the incentive payment to flybe to purchase BACON. It would be interesting to know more about what has been negotiated on pensions.

This isn't just about filling seats in cockpits - flybe don't need to instantly start flying all the routes, they can simply cherry-pick the ones they want and build up slowly.

As others have said, the gulf between T & Cs in each company is quite wide. I don't believe for a minute that the BACON crews will get what they expect or want. The wise ones are jumping ship.