PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 17th Jan 2007, 01:28
KezFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL Australian Wannabe Advice

Hi, I am a UK citizen in Sydney (currently on work visa moving onto a student visa), since I was 16 I have wanted to become a commercial pilot, during my degree (not aviation related) Sept 11 hit and it is something I didn't consider again until I came to Australia. As I'm sure a few of you know the ATPL course is (comparatively!) cheap over here compared to the UK, approx 20k GBP for an Advanced Diploma in Aviation, I recently came into an inheritance so this is something I am seriously considering. I have been through the forum for various pieces of information but was looking for a bit of advice on the following:

I have mild shortsightedness but have passed a Class 1 (CASA) medical with no problems, does anyone know how the Oz medical compares to a UK JAA medical? I was also an average pass on the hearing component, anyone else had problems with this?

Does anyone have any views on those without 20/20 vision securing a position with the major airlines (regional or international)? Does anyone know the percentage of airline pilots (or commercial pilots) who do need corrective lenses?

Has anyone out there ever converted to a UK JAA from a Australian ATPL, I know West Australian Aviation College do a course?

What are the chances of me, 26 years old, Degree educated, 4 A-Levels but not in Maths, Physics or English, 3 years experience in human resources (if that helps!!) gaining employment once I hold an ATPL, is the ATPL viewed a great deal better than a standard CPL?

Thanks very much for any help, this is my first post so I apologise if any of this has been covered elsewhere.