PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2007, 22:12
Get Smart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfair dismissal on a mass scale?

Just digressing back a little on the hot debate as to whether or not one can be sacked for AI and the complications that follow.. If it's that plausable, then why don't more companies do it and more importantly (as it has not been their style in the past), why didn't BA do that in 97, the wildcat ground staff swipe card strike, and why then, were only a couple of baggage loaders sacked for crimes of insighting others to strike when they all illegally walked out last year during the GG scrap bringing the entire airline to a costly standstill?
Whilst your comments are probably right, surely, legistically, sacking the strikers may seem like a solution but it's not really a likely course of action because despite what some city slickers may think, replacing an 11,000strong workforce isn't as easy as it sounds. It's not a matter of just nipping down to the job centre and teaching monkeys to pour tea/coffee? Lets not forget the cost of recruitment, uniforming, training, admin costs, legalities of experienced crew members per flight, looking after their most important customers (Club) etc, etc whilst Virgin will no doubt be riding on the back of this with an agrressive advertising campaign to lure BA customers their way as they always do ... and becoming more successful at it everytime we piss off the public. If I were Jo Public, I'd given up on BA years ago!
BA have had a rather dreadful year when it comes to glossy publicity. Can it really, really afford another massive disruption crisis that the airline could possibily not sustain? If the airline doesn't perform, the shareholders don't get their returns and topdogs @ bluewater won't get their fat doshy bonuses .... Isn't that what this is all about? Bottom line ... Money money money? WW can't afford to gamble this way with other peoples money, not to mention what he has to loose himself!
Sorry, but sacking the workforce, yeah, maybe legally they can, but ... I just can't see it? Can anyone convience me I'm wrong?
PS Sorry city slics, don't take offence! None meant. x x