PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long haul or what!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2007, 11:21
WHBM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by farsouth
Talking of long endurance flights, Guinness say that the longest ever (excluding space flight) was airborne for just under 65 days, from Dec 58 until Feb 59. It was a Cessna 172 with 2 on board, with long range tanks that allowed it to fly for about 24 hours between refuelling, which was done by flying at 20 ft above a fuel tanker and picking up a hose. Only saw a brief entry about it on the internet, so I don’t know how they managed for food etc, presumably that was also picked up in flight from a chase vehicle.
The C172 in question now hangs in the terminal at Las Vegas International airport:

"Another exhibit hangs directly over the baggage claim area: A plane that, in 1959, was used in setting a nonstop flying record -- 64 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes, 5 seconds -- that still stands.

Refueling was done on the fly, from a fuel truck that followed the plane on the ground. The pilots lifted baskets of food into the plane by rope. And, the answer to the inevitable question -- a small portable toilet seat -- is displayed in a nearby glass case."

http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/2000/O...hotos/timm.jpg

1. Assuming that the C172 was travelling at 65 kts during fuel pickup, how far would it have to go at synchronised speed with the tanker to refuel ? I would expect many miles.

2. I can't quite see how a C172 with 2pob would have enough capability to lift 24 hours endurance of fuel.

3. If you were going for an endurance record you would surely go for a retractable and a constant speed prop.

4. What did they do for oil (the C172 of that vintage being a typical GA oil guzzler) ?

5. You would have to be VERY good friends with your fellow pilot ! And indeed with that tanker driver 20 feet below.

Last edited by WHBM; 16th Jan 2007 at 15:12. Reason: The oil point