PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2007, 10:03
Flying Fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joetom
FF,
You are 100% correct, but lets be honest, if 10yrs gets 19%, it might just be fair that 5yrs should get 9.5% increase in pensionable pay, Do you think the Judge in my previous post was fair.....a simple Yes or No ???
Joetom,
Not a question I can answer, as I don't know the previous form of the defendants and I didn't hear the evidence. Were these muggings violent and what did they steal? Were weapons used? As you can see, these things are very rarely simple and I think your analogy is not complex enough.

Let me offer you a different one. Let's say we both live in the same street, lets call it 'BA Way' . The council announces it has a huge budget shortfall and decides that it has to put council tax up. However, the council had made a previous promise to those on the left of the street that, if they paid higher council tax every year for 35 years, they would then not have to pay any more after that. Those on the right hand side of the street and had been promised a different thing - that they would pay regular council tax for 40 years before not having to pay any more.

After a while, the council realises that this is unsustainable and it has to put the tax up and also, because of changes to the law, realises that the different end dates are not legal any more. Now it decides it has to now get money from everyone for 45 years or you can pay a higher tax rate and only pay for 40 years.

The council know that this is going to go down like a lead balloon with everyone but particularly those on the left hand side as they are now paying for ten years longer than they were promised whereas those on the right hand side are only paying for five years longer.

Which side of the street do you think has got the fairer deal, left or right?

Note I have not included any transition arrangement for those on the left as you are advocating.

p.s. forgot to mention that in the above example, both sides of the street are still shafted.

Last edited by Flying Fred; 16th Jan 2007 at 10:43.