PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2007, 08:49
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the CC will enjoy support from the general public
I'm not sure they will.

At the moment the press is covering the union's claims, for obvious reasons, but BA aren't going to sit back without letting the other side of the arguments be known.

Some reports say the union criticises the sickness rules as draconian, claiming that 10 days off a year can lead to a threat of dismissal. Many of the 'general public' go through their entire working lives without going sick 10 days a year.
Of course there are circumstances in which those who fly are unable to work while those in other jobs would just press on, but BA will inevitably point to the curious difference in sickness rates between pilots and cabin crew.
The real 'sickness' issue is well-known by people in or connected with the industry, and I can't see WW being slow to let it be known more widely.

Complaints that BA wants to abolish some in-flight supervisory positions are unlikely to generate public outrage when most members of the public believe (rightly or wrongly) that large organisations in the UK have had too many supervisory positions for far too long and are hampered in making changes by unions wishing (understandably) to preserve established working practices.

Some journalist will inevitably compare BA CC earnings with (for example) teachers, or those in other fields who've had to study (unpaid) for three years to obtain their qualifications.
Or with CC earnings at other UK airlines.
Or with the earnings of those who do similar jobs (outside the airlines) serving the public on the ground.

I also wonder if there'll be much sympathy for a threat to further damage a company which, in common with most airlines, is already coping with financial challenges. Most thinking people now know the airline sector works on very low profit margins; some may not know quite how low. This link shows the profit margin of all airlines worldwide, and compares it with just one company in the oil sector : Link
(And with BAA's profit margin. )

Public opinion is always very fickle, and even those who may be sympathetic in principle (depending upon the nature of a particular strike) tend to change their minds when they are personally inconvenienced.

BA CC may or may not have a good cause for complaint, but assuming public support would IMHO be a big mistake.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 16th Jan 2007 at 10:09. Reason: Link wasn't working.