PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Strike Threat
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 21:09
Egg Mayo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to say I think there maybe 'performance issues' within certain groups within BA Cabin Crew. I tend to agree with PalmTree. It seems to be custom and practice that on long haul routes, the food service is dished out asap so that the Cabin Crew can 'party' at the rear. Whether this is a 'response' to poor salaries, I don't know for sure. Certainly in my experience, where an employer pays low wages and expects alot, the employees tend to be less committed.
I'll be interested to see how the strike pans out. The problem is that the flight attendant job, in economic terms, is fairly low skilled. (I know I'm going to get berated for that). However, my perception of life in BA Cabin Crew is this. You work hard in short haul for a few years and eventually get long haul. The pay is relatively low compared to other employment sectors, e.g. a PA in a law firm, (please ignore gender stereotyping momentarily) but you get to see a bit of the world which you wouldn't otherwise see, (i.e. flying a desk at zero feet doing 9-5, putting up with machine coffee, etc), and have a laugh down leg with like minded individuals. In short, a trade off between pay and perks. Come a certain point, it becomes boring and you jack it in or stay to become a CSD.
To use a horrible phrase, the Cabin Crew want best of both worlds, the increased pay as well as the perks. Can't see it happening, there is a quid pro quo in today's commercial world. My perception is that BA offers more opportunity than most, e.g. a good route network for travel concessions etc. At a guess, Willie Walsh will play hard ball, sufficient cover will be arranged for the strike days from non BASSA staff, with doubling up on some routes. The strikers won't get paid for not working and realise it isn't so much fun afterall being a token Luddite and get back to work.