PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First class travel
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 21:03
MyData
Fixed+Rotary (aircraft, not washing lines)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had to pay full 1st fare, then I certainly wouldn't. I might do biz at a push though, especially if booked in advance on some discount ticket.

However, I do have gazillions of Star Alliance miles. The majority of which are earned through business. So for our annual 'big trip' holiday we use these for 1st class tickets - using the part points/part cash option. For instance, last year we flew from Manchester to Beijing on Lufthansa in 1st. I think the total cost, including tax, was £1200 for both of us.

I'd argue that £1200 for two, including the flights, meals, beds, service etc. is decent value compared to the basic economy price which would still be in the £100s each.

I've also been fortunate to fly 1st for business on long haul. But this was directly as a result of promotional upgrades either for my company or those schemes where a trans-Atlantic biz fare grants you an upgrade on outbound or return leg.

I guess what I'm saying is that those in 1st probably haven't paid the fully published rate or anything like it, nor will their businesses. Same applies to hotels in London and elsewhere. I get a rate of £110 / night whereas the rack rate is advertised at £270 to give the hotel some degree of cachet...