PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Price of new Russian nvg
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 21:00
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thankyou Flying Bull for your answer. My intention was to use it only as an extra pair of eyes in the cockpit. Surely it is safer if you have a co pilot passenger who can point out possible obstacles say on approach or departure ?? ie if he suddenly says " can you see the wires off to our left 300ft or "have you seen the one tall tree in the middle of our approach" that can only be to the better. I am not advocating flying on them and getting into trouble , just doing a normal flight but getting extra information. I am sure that some "expert" is now going to say that "extra" information is somehow dangerous. From all my talks with people with 1000,s Hrs nvg flying they almost all despair of the fact that in this country we have a distrust of them, even though they may well have saved many lives if used especially in the Police/ Emergency role.
ps i dont think that anywhere i said that i would buy "Toy" ones...i would just rather spend £5,000 rather than £15,000. Also i would do final and landing with lights etc................yes i know the nvg,s would then cease to be effective ...