PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 11:55
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Navaleye

"Warriors will have to soldier on for another 10 years"

I understood FRES would complement, or be used instead of, Warrior; but not replace it. It will replace, primarily, Saxon and CVR(T) series. The important thing about these vehicles (not Warrior) is they are "C130 compliant", but not all FRES variants need be. What is actually achieved with FRES drives the C130 and A400 fleet sizes, and hence has a disproportonate effect on the wider defence budget (in addition to the projected £14Bn cost of FRES).

The Times article suggests it has been realised (rather belatedly) that FRES needs better self protection but in meeting this "new" requirement the weight should not increase. I suspect other issues include lengthy development of hybrid drives, but that is another story. If they cannot achieve the necessary spec to permit C130 use, then I assume more A400s would be needed.

I see an inter-service bunfight coming. If other Army programmes have been salami sliced to bolster FRES funding, they may not take kindly to CVF getting the money.

Sorry to dwell on Land programmes here, but the relationship with Air is obvious.