PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good sunnies to wear for flying?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 04:40
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
If someone hadn't started this thread I would have started it today. By coincidenceI have a very expensive pair of polarised sunglasses (Mako) that are very convenient for fishing and boat manouvering in coral and suchlike. Very restful to look through - or so I thought.

After reading up on UV and cataracts I decided to use sunglasses more - while driving and flying and I tried the Makos for the last month. Results: Found it difficult to see small numbers on gauges - no problem, just look harder; my landings went from merely awful to terrible - couldn't figure it out. Then three near misses while driving in perfect conditions - I didn't see a cyclist and two motorists - couldn't figure it out.

Then I wore them all day fishing last week and by the afternoon I was getting annoyed - didn't know why. A Snapper broke off my hook and I went to replace it but couldn't seem to align line with hook eye. Took off glasses - result perfect (if glary) vision.

These F^&&*ing overpriced glasses have shocking optics that subtly alter your peripheral vision as well as your focussing ability!

I'm going to get Serengetis tomorrow.