PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 03:30
RAFAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting, however, the remark about flyBE and the Q400 @ LCY. I wonder why Flybe is unable to do what Lufthansa/Augsburg has already done, SAS currently does and Luxair will do sooner than later. What airmanship do they have that flyBE lacks ?
It's my opinion that the reluctance to do it goes right back to the start of Flybe DHC8 ops into LCY. There seemed to be an overriding fear in the minds of the fleet and training managers, which then bred thoughout the minds of the majority of the pilots. The hand-flown raw data method that our SOPs dictated we used for the approach was completely unnecessary, and didn't do anything to help boost the confidence of many. When it came to taking the 400 in there, the Bombardier LCY DHC8-400 approach video was spread around to nicely alarm everybody, (near tailscrape!) and then the actual trials were done by the wrong people, (sim & desk drivers) they scared themselves silly and that was an end to it. The 146 fleet probably wondered what the hell all the fuss was about.

However, I suppose one must consider the opposite point of view that doing the trials with people that didn't actually fly the aircraft very often was exactly the right thing to do, given that the wider DHC8 workforce (especially now) are relatively low in experience.