PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you do during long haul flights?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2007, 01:47
777AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Haul Fun and Games

Great post gang. I'm not sure if there are any 737-200s flying today but here is a fun thing for the guys on 737s to try. When I flew the 200s, there was a nice eyeball vent near each side window. This is a very useful device. Before the days of 9-11, we used to do magic tricks with this vent. To wit: Extract a spare lightbulb that is of some size...the one used for the overhead map light works nicely...now..open the 'eyeball vent' full bore...you might have to turn on the gasper fan, if you've had it turned off...I used to turn the thing off and on to annoy the biscuit pushers...anyways...take the light bulb and hold it about 3 inches from the center of the eyball vent IN the stream of air...now...slowly let go of the bulb. The rest is magic!!!! I won't tell you what happens..but my record is 5 hours until I hit some turbulance...darn...and it impressed the heck out of some of the 'dollies' that used to come up and ask dumb questions.
I have not had the same luck with the 777 though...not enough airflow going through that vent...I suggest someone come up with a mod for that.
The camera function on the -300 serves as a great interface for my iPod with video..I've found that I can stream podcasts quite nicely, now that I've been among the first to receive the new iTV from Apple. The resolution is excellent. Boeing had it right when they upgraded the LCDs a few years ago. The black contrast makes watching trailers and some of those old favourite 'Debbie does XXXX' movies' a real treat while ploughing through the rock and roll on the NOPAC route. Its a real blessing that we don't have to interrupt movies and extracurricular activites to send position reports. ADS is great, isn't it?