PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VB Embraer Operation
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2007, 07:21
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
This could be a very sticky situation for DJ management.

Due to past promises not being honoured, we now appear to have a pretty well united DJ pilot body.

It seems that the ball is well and truely in managements court. What management chooses to do with that ball may decide the manner in which the Embraer is introduced, at least in the short term. If they decide to bite the bullet and offer the boys and girls on the line what they are worth, Then the shiney new jungle jets may be flying sooner than later. If not, well what do the DJ pilot group really have to lose in continuing to vote the EBA down.

Irrespective of what eventually happens, I would suggest any new off the street FO to take a long hard look at their prospects down the track.

What will be the chances of command. If you consider that literally hundreds of exiting DJ FO's are many years from a 737 command, then your chances of moving to the left seat within 10 years are probably slim. a move to command on the jungle jet by these pilots would be I suggest a definite no brainer considering the situation they currently find themselves in.

Will there be progression onto the 737? If so will you have to be in possesion of a type rating? As every DJ driver before you has had to satisfy that requirement, I would say probably yes! Becoming a very expensive exercise.

Food for thought: Time to command at REX at the moment is around 2-3 years. A Saab 340 captain will gross approx 90K with allowances with no upfront endorsement costs. True, it's not a jet, but the lifestyle is pretty reasonable, and you will probably be better off financially for at least the first 15 years!

If flying a jet is everything, then I say go for it. Don't be supprised however if you are still sitting in the right seat 10 years from now earning 20-30K less than your regional counterpart!