PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2006 Qantas Cadets
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2007, 23:41
R.Cruizo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have spent time in Australia and overseas. In times of high work load it's an advantage to have an experienced Pilot in the right seat ; I'll take that choice anyday.

Nobody is knocking cadets!!! Everybody started their careers with 200hrs+.

I just think it's a bit rough QF spreading it's cadets throughout the industry and in many cases displacing others trying to work their way up. Fine if they want to do it with their own Regionals.

As mentioned previously on this thread, there is also the question of Command Upgrades. No easy task for the likes of Skippers, Smackair etc to upgrade someone with 3000hrs and 100hrs Command.They will still require either some experienced new hires or hire Direct Entry Captains.

In Europe, Asia etc Pilots straight out of flying school go straight into the right seat of a Saab 340, B737 etc because there are no other Pilots available; and with the proper trainning they do a very good job!

But in Australia we have such a large GA pool , there are plenty of guys and gals with some experience to choose from and put through the same Sim and line trainning.