PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone remember my Dad? 'Vulcan Bomber'
Old 13th Jan 2007, 19:06
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by philrigger

Following the withdrawal from RAAF Butterworth of the 55/57 Sqn Victor (Bomber) aircraft detachments in 'Aug '65, 4 Vulcans were detached from RAF Cottesmore to RAF Tengah, Singapore as the Medium Bomber Force Detachment. From Aug '65 to Feb '66 9 Sqn aircrew had the committment. Feb '66 saw 35 Sqn take over the detachment until May '66 when it was 9 Sqns turn again. From Nov '65 to Feb '66 the Det Cdr was Sqn Ldr DBR Harris (9 Sqn) and from Feb '66 to May 66 it was Wg Cdr DA Arnott, DFC (OC 35 Sqn). Engineering support coming from the Engineering Wing, RAF Cottesmore. Aircrew detachments were for up to 3 months and groundcrew tour lengths were 3 months with an option to complete further 3 months. During Dec '65 and Feb '66 the whole detachment redeployed to RAAF Darwin for exercises with the RAAF.
I was on the detachment at Tengah from Nov '65 to May '66.
It was a long time ago but I think the dates are correct.
So Sarah's Dad could have spent a few months in Singapore.
Thanks for that Phil, in the interests of completeness however, the V-bomber presence in 1964 was 10/15 Victors at Tengah and 55/57 Victors at Butterworth. The Victor detachment was replaced by a 4-ac Vulcan detachment from 12(B) Sqn of the RAF Coningsby Wing commanded by Wg Cdr Bob Tanner. Although the detachment deployed in early Sep 64 it was held at RAF Khormaksar for a week and then at RAF Gan for 2 weeks as HQ FEAF was concerned with the air threat and overloading of bases on the mainland. The Vulcan (4) and Victor (2) detachment at RAF Gan would have been a surprise to Indonesia if they had had to launch an attack from deep field in the West.

The Vulcans eventually arrived at Butterworth in Oct 64 and the Victors departed Tengah about the same time. The Vulcan detachment was suddenly withdrawn in early December 64 and not replaced until Apr 65. I had my ideas as to why we were withdrawn but I think it had to do with balance of payments at home rather than any pacifist sentiment by the new Labour Government. Research by Dr David Easter reveals that the Wilson Government was more concerned with maintaining a presence East of Suez than in Germany. The US was also concerned that we maintained our presence in the Far East as we could do things and go places that they could not.