PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Poor pax timing
Thread: Poor pax timing
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2007, 19:03
gdiphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit of history

Back in 1979, Christmas day in fact, I took a very short flight on a CAAC Trident from Canton (as it was then known) to Kai Tak airport in HK. There were no announcements re safety and the aircraft started moving as we were putting away our luggage and sitting down. The aircraft didn't stop at the end of the runway for takeoff and just shot off like a fighter with the cabin crew walking up and down the aisle on rotation followed by a fast steep climb, handing out airline junk as presents (toy areoplanes and the like). I had never experienced anything like it, nor since for that matter. Of course I was aware of the safety implications but I have to admit I did resign myself to seeing the funny side of all this. The flight was no more than 15 minutes and the pilot must have thought he was still in a fighter jet the way he turned corners, pinning us to our seats. It was then straight down to the runway (over the sea approach, not the famous head for the hill and turn right between the buildings one) on a very fast landing, or so it seemed to me, with a rapid turnoff to the gate. The cabin crew were still wandering around on the landing too! I am told by friends that this sort of thing does not occur today in China.