PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who handles who? - The 2007 thread!
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2007, 13:28
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Air Ground Services Site as per KiloMike's post:
Originally Posted by KiloMIke
Someone already has! Weell for LHR anyway.
http://www.airgrounduk.bravehost.com/
is obvously run and maintained by a 'Heathrow Insider' using Microsft Office Web Publishing Features to post their Excel Data.

Whilst there is NO reason why this could not be extended to all UK Airports, except garnering and then maintaining that level of detail would be time consuming.

When I made my initial post on this subject I was thinking of someone effectively replicating the infromation from this threads posts with a few added links to the Airport and Resident Agencies into a simple HTML template structure and doing this as a non-commercial spare time activity.

Four, or five years ago, this would have been the way to go and even today would be a quick way of getting the basic information out there.

But keeping the Information up to date (even if limited to UK Airports) could easily become a miserable chore for the poor webmaster.

So when fredtheanorak suggested
updated by us just like Wikpedia.
He was echoing my own thoughts.

However (Cassandra time).
a) I don't think (maybe I am wrong) PPRuNe would be 'up for this'.
b) A free for all update approach wouldn't work and someone would have to be in charge, to verify data etc (Moderator, Webmaster, whatever).
c) Whilst my initial thoughts would mean the site could run on the 'freespace' provided by an ISP, or Geocities et al, going down a Wiki route requires backend Databses and something like PHP server side. Plus the scripts to run it (In many cases NOT available in 'freespace')

However I still think it would be a good Idea and for a microsecond I thought of adding it to my ever increasing 'Projects to Do' list, but sense kicked in as if I complete a fifth of what is currently on the list this decade, it will be a miracle!

I hope soemone does bite the bullet as I am sure they could get some revenue from sponsership and even Google Ads. I doubt it would ever be self-supporting, but at least costs would be partially defrayed and by having a team of correspondents keeping the information up to date, it would gradaully extend coverage into Europe, almost 'organically'.

So over time it could become one of those resources that people rely on.
DIH