PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 3
Thread: CARDIFF - 3
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2007, 12:57
xtypeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PTP

Twinaisle is correct do not forget you can get stats to say anything you want. Read the ROSCO report on Aviation in the UK as a whole not just in Wales. BRS is a large draw because of its routes yes CWL needs more routes but you have to attract the passengers. When AW did the ORK for Baby passengers where comming from as far as Birmingham as this was the best route for them. LPL did a pax survey on EZY flts and found that a large percentage 50% plus came from East Yorkshire bypassing LBA and MAN. If you look at the ROSCO the greatest PTP in 2000/2002 was in Scotland the lowest in Wales was the north followed by mid. Find the market the passengers want give a good service be fair with ticket price and keep the passengers using the airport. I know a lot of you want FlyBe to expand at CWL but be cautious you do not want eggs in one basket you need a variety of operators running sustainable routes. So CWL needs to attract passengers from a much larger catchment area than just South Wales. Transport links are vital to an airport i know the argument that BRS is dificulty to get to they have got the airlines and the routes that makes up for the ground connections. CWL could look at get Ariva Wales to start train services going to the Airport not just as a local feeder. Was there not a statment that FGW where going to start services to Rhoose. Direct services to West Wales, Mid Wales, Hereford and Gloucester with out a change of train would be a good start. Then maybe the airlines the railways coach operators could go the last mile and intergrate timetables (the holy grail of transport). It is possible just needs some thought. I reguarly commute throught SOU. I land and within 1 hour i am on a train direct to Cardiff. Before Christmas i landed at Shoreham(Brighton International) and again within an hour i was on a train to Cardiff. However my wife then has to drive for nearly two hours to pick me up. Gatwick, Manchester and Stansted have made the train work for them BRS cannot come on CWL a potential big market that would offset carbon as well.