PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferrying a single across the Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2007, 00:47
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarthawke
Very brave people in the singles crossing the water but what a great trip!
Our engine only stopped once (embarrassingly, our fault) and didn't start again immediately (again, our fault). Too busy to be scared at the time, but we did heave a sigh of relief when it fired up again - and then had time to think about what might have been.
I share your admiration for the ferry pilots who regularly cross in singles. We were chatting to a pilot shortly after we arrived at Goose - still thrilled (and a little pleased with ourselves) at having "done it!" He was en route home to the UK in a C172.
Is this your first time? (Trying to sound casual)
No, I've done it a few times.
Really. How many?
Oh, let me think. 1, 2, 3, 4 ............... 8 times ....
(That was enough to bring us floating gently down to earth, but he brought us down completely when he continued)
"..... this year".
He'd been ferrying for 15 years - put our effort into perspective.

turniphead
While you're thinking and planning, I recommend trying to get hold of a book called 'Ocean Flying' by Louise Scacci, an exceptionally experienced ferry pilot. It's out of print but you'll probably find one on the internet. It's pre-GPS (as was out flight) but still worth reading IMHO. She crossed the Atlantic so many times they named a road in Gander after her.

cjboy
I can only assume traditional Icelandic food is an acquired taste - I'm told you have to be born there to acquire it.
The fish was good at the JLS.

Chuck
You've probably done it more times than you can remember, but I vividly remember flying up the fjord to Narsarsuaq for the first (and for me only)time. It was reassuring when we could (just) make out the famous sunken freighter - confirming we'd chosen the right fjord. Then, flying around a corner and seeing the airfield - with a large iceberg on approach. Wonderful!

Great pics by Cowboy & Chuck.
Mine are pre-digital. I'll have to dig them out and have digital versions made one day.

(Edit)
In the meantime, here's a picture of the aircraft.

This thread makes me want to do it again.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 13th Jan 2007 at 13:02.