PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 12th Jan 2007, 22:14
Babybing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some guidance needed.

Hello all, I am a 21 year old living in Ireland and am currently in the penultimate year of an economics degree at a good uni here in Ireland. I intend to finish my education but I am slowly realising a career in the finance/economics field probably isnt for me. Aviation is always something I have been interested in and Im starting to give some serious consideration to becomeing a pilot. The problem is my eyesight is not great. To be more precise the eyesight in my left eye isnt great, my right eye is perfect. I can drive a car and all but Im just wondering could this be a problem? Should I just forget the idea right now.

My second question is how long and how much does it take to get qualified? I understand a lot of people go the army route but my eyesight excludes me from that. Ive heard estimates of 60,000 for the necessary training is this accurate? Is there any way to join an airline and have them train you( I see a lot of mentions of sponsorship, I assume that refers to an airline paying for you?). Im sure that this is probably the exception but just how selective are they. Basically is this common or rare?

Also how difficult is it to land a job once you get your license. It would be a shame to devote all the time, effort and money into the training and then not be able to get a job! Do a lot of aspiring pilots find it difficult to get work after training?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks. Jonathan.