PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Err...can they do that?'
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2007, 06:52
Cumbrian Fell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Err...can they do that?'

There have been many postings concerning the distanciation (yes, there is such a word) between HM forces and the British public. To illustrate this, I learned just before Christmas that I will go off on a long and dusty det very shortly. Mrs CF was cross but eventually accepted it with the grace comendable of all service spouses. However, over Christmas, a number of civilian friends and neighbours, on learning of my impending deployment, quizically stated.."Can they (the 'military') just send you away like that?" Furthermore, knowing that I can be a difficult and argumentative b@stard, several naively questioned "Why don't you say No?"
By way of explanation, we live far from the madding crowd in a completely demilitarised community (and house - not even the Commissioning Parchment in the loo...) but it is clear that the concept of being ordered to go on operations and complying with a lawful order (without questioning it) has been lost on those who have no contact with the military. The public assume that service personnel have greater freedom of employment and association than we can exercise. Several more liberal friends suggested that I should not go in order to protest against governmrnt policy; nonetheless, comments and advice has generally been well meant. During this time we had a gas leak in our kitchen and a gas fitter spent three days replacing the meter and associated pipework. Just before he left, he came up to me and said, "You're a brave guy to go out there, please be careful, for your family's sake" and then shook my hand warmly. I felt very humbled and he left me with quite a lump in my throat.
I won't trivialise the discussion about all the other misapprehensions many civilians have, but suffice to say that unless the public have had direct involvment of the post Cold War military environment, they haven't got a Scooby...