PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2007, 18:43
PPL-Trainee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listening in to Thames this morning with the wind gusting at 40kts I noticed that quite a few a/c were going around due to the crosswind and windshear, it seemed however that Swiss Air pilots were aborting there approaches more than any other airline , this may have just been coincidence and i realise that the rj100's are just about the biggest a/c that goes into city but i wonder if Swiss air has different minimums in cross winds to some other airlines as, the Ba rj's seemed generally to land ok and allmost all of the VLM Fokkers 50's ??! One way or another LCY is definately a challanging approach......
Very true Mike but Swiss were not the only ones. A few Luxair aircraft were cancelled today too, but the hardened VLM pilots kept their nerves on final by the looks of it with very limited travel interuptions.

Another problem was a loose concrete slab on the runway opposite Charlie which meant that the runway had to close earlier this morning. As mentioned, this didnt cause too much interuptions to airlines. As mentioned, there were gusts of up to 46kts at times today, which is enough to make me wonder (if I was in the particular situation) the maybe I should think about heading elsewhere!

46kts is rough to say the least!!

On another note, has anyone heard about the handover of the airport to an american company?