PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'request cancel IFR....' Answers please.
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2007, 13:53
CRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'request cancel IFR....' Answers please.

Hello All,
I would appreciate any accurate input from knowledgeable ppruners regarding the CORRECT procedure to follow when 'cancelling IFR'.
I operate in the North of Scotland in mainly uncontrolled airspace, and frequently,for expedience and efficiency, it is sensible to cancel IFR when making an approach, either to improve arrival time or help release an outbound aircraft.
I have been asked by my boss to clarify whether on receipt of a crews intention to cancel IFR the flight will immediately be treated as VFR and therefore is released from any IFR clearance. In other words should I say I AM cancelling IFR or REQUEST to cancel IFR (all whilst airborne of course, I'm not talking about before start). And therefore when I do say it, can go on my merry way and descend at will. Or should I wait for the 'request' to be approved before changing level/track?
My concern is that my desire to assist ATC (and myself) could actually result in screwing up the master plan that ATC had, and possibly pose a safety hazard by descending through the level of another a/c.
I personally never use this 'trick' to queue jump a stream of IFR inbounds, and normally it is done to assist ATC where I can.
Would appreciate the input of airtraffickers, primarily about the hard legal facts, then personal preferences about how to play it.
Thanks all.

CRX.

Ps: I am aware of the consequences of cancelling IFR such as the need to maintain VFR in the event of a go-around ,general airmanship and lookout etc etc, so please just the 'rules',. Thanks.