PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threads closing suspiciously 2?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2007, 09:01
Postman Plod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant believe I'm replying to this thread... but.... As an admin on another site, I just can't believe whats been said!

Yes, your train set, no problem with that. You make the rules, you do what you like. However Mil Aircrew has been left alone for years to run unmoderated, and its been successful. Its one of the consistently busiest forums on PPRuNe. You say its a niche - I'd argue that. Thats what you've made it. (Well, actually you've set it up and hosted it, the users have made it, but I'm trying to butter you up in this paragraph... )

Now you change the rules without notice, and get shirty at the regulars who are suddenly seeing their new / old threads being pulled for spurious reasons? Additionally, threads are being pulled inconsistently. There is some dross and non-aviation related threads on the forum thats still there - applying the reasons you've given, why haven't you pulled those? Or are you just pulling threads you dont like? After YEARS of consistency in posting and (non) moderation, all relevant, a little banter, you've gone from self moderation, no-notice ruthless moderation. I think the users have a right to question whats going on, and I dont know why you are so surprised they are! You dont need to answer it, but there is dissatisfaction with this sudden and no-notice change.

Had you given the users a week or twos warning that you were about to impose pruning and new rules on posting, you would have given users the opportunity to HELP you, and given a grace period to change posting styles, and explore other options. How much time does this take? A couple of minutes to inform the whole forum via a sticky post. Users would have told you what threads were pointless and could be pulled. You would have got them involved in the process.

You know, if you're that fed up with users, and forum admin, and stuff like that, you could just close the whole forum for 6 months.

Whatever - I'm not going anywhere, I dont post much anyway. Maybe I'm the sort of person you want rid of.