PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threads closing suspiciously 2?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2007, 08:03
Spotting Bad Guys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs
Thanks for the reply; given the size of the current PRRuNe readership, I can live with the lack of PM to tell me my thread (US Airstrikes in Somalia) was closed - although I am still at a loss to understand why.
My particular beef with this individual closure is that this is a subject that directly affects mil aircrew - US, UK and French in the main. We (the RAF) have people deployed all over the CENTCOM AOR, which includes Iraq, Afghanistan and the Horn of Africa. We have deployed in the past, and continue to deploy a small number of personnel to the HOA. (A few years ago, the RAF were involved in air ops based in Kenya, for example). Ergo, the BBC news report that I posted a link to, is of direct relevance to many of us and of professional interest to many more.
I've been here about 5 years (this is my second PPruNe username) and my post rate could hardly be called prolific. However, I would like to think that occasionally I have something relevant and/or interesting to offer. If that's to be more limited because I haven't bought a personal title, so be it. I'm not going to throw my teddies out of the pram.
However, like it or not, PPRuNe Mil Aircrew has become a victim of its own success. Due to the state of affairs that has existed in the upper echelons of the Services for some time, combined with Government-directed swinging cuts and commitments that continue to extend us beyond our means, this forum has for many become the only way we can get our voices heard - even if only amongst our PPRuNe peer group. Discussions on subjects such as JPA are important to us - the system directly affects how we operate, whether deployed or at home. Aircrew or not, all of us in the RAF are in the business of generating air power and getting those aircraft to the target/on station/down route as applicable - hence various threads' applicability to this forum.
Just my 2p worth; I'm staying with PPRuNe but I was surprised at the 'we don't care what you think' attitude displayed in the other thread.
Cheers
SBG