PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Management And Pilots Should Read This!
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2001, 00:19
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
raas767
There has never been a contract opener my management at my airline through out it's history where they wanted to do away with seniority.
Indeed ... YET. My view is that your industry will change in the way that others have. I cannot say when but a guess is within ten years.

tilii
While I accept your argument that the industries to which you refer have changed from whatever it is you describe as ?traditional? to what you say is ?hire and fire? (frankly the distinction escapes me
We will forgive you for this, since your profile makes it clear that you have no relevant aviation experience other than as a passenger.
Thank you for accepting that I am who I say I am! When I chose my name tag for this board, it was specifically done to show that I am SLF. But I am one that has worked in a range of industries in a range of countries. I have experieenced enormous change in my own working practise that I could not have imagined when I started. In the 1980s it changed once, in the 1990s it changed a second time.

With reference to 'traditional/hire and fire'. The former is one that encourages progress, trains staff with a long term view (5 years +) and presumes that staff will stay. The latter avoids training as it costs too much and the expectation is that staff will leave of their own volition. (5 years -). Also the kind of company that sheds staff as it 'regroups or downsizes' and two years later takes on staff with the same experience and skills as the ones they made redundant!

White Knight
However I can't see any other realistic way for the pilots to be employed. It is a very different industry from any other and comparisons cannot be reasonably made.
That does not mean that the comparisons will be made by 'reasonable' people! I have seen 'managers' move into an industry that they knew very little about and some make it work better and some trash the place. Until it happens, one never knows. Look at GEC in the UK, well run for over 30 years and trashed in three.

To all airline staff, I can only say that I hope and trust that your industry continues to grow in the way that you want it to. I hope that the best method of promotion is used. I hope that the hours worked by UK hospital doctors comes down to your level and not the reverse. But, over 23 years of experience in this country and others, I have seen them all change without exception. I cannot see a way in which yours is going to be singled out for different treatment.

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: PAXboy ]