PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threads closing suspiciously 2?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2007, 22:07
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Always_broken_in_wilts
Scroggs,
Thanks for the balanced and very polite response to this thorny issue. I fully agree with you when you say trimming archives etc will free up server space but what we have seen lately is the unannounced closing of some of the liveliest threads that are voicing opinions that are completely in place within this aircrew forum.
I notice there are still 3 pages on the Mil Aircrew forum so maybe some of the old stuff should be removed/culled before the newer stuff which would help alleviate the suspicions that it's plain old censorship at work here........just my humble thoughts.
I've not been following the threads you refer to, but it's been noticeable that this forum has rather too often been straying from its remit of Military Aviation. Discussions of non-aviation topics will generally not be appropriate here, however interesting they may be - even if they are of direct military relevance. Many topics in here are no such thing, and are thus prime targets for pruning (sorry!).

would it help alleviate some of the server issues if the site could only be perused by registered users, rather than currently, capacity being taken up by unregistered users. Some other web forums use this system.
I'm not sure how much load the non-registered users cause to the system, but I think they rarely make up more than a third of the total. I'm pretty sure they can't use any of the stuff that loads the server severely - search and so on. In any case, if the place was only readable by registered users (and I'm not sure that's possible), we'd never get any new blood in.

Scroggs