PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 10th Jan 2007, 19:58
BusterHot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonzoboy and Spartacan.

I think the issue of part time is too vague to give you definite answers. On my course 2 guys wanted to go part time - both were refused (One was at my base, the other somewhere else [with no part timers]). 2 months after checking out, along comes a guy to my base who was recruited on a part time contract!

Guys at my base have reapplied for part time and again been refused. It would seem to me that the chances of getting part time AFTER joining are a bit problematic, DOJ/Seniority, etc. But then maybe playing hard to get and refusing to sign up unless you get a PT contract, might work. In someways it did for me; I refused point blank to join unless I got the base I wanted - I wasn't prepared to move/commute until a slot became available at that base (maybe).

Ultimately it's supply and demand. If they need pilots and you come along and are prepared to join, albeit on your terms, then you might be lucky. But once in the system, your bargaining power is GONE and you join the queue like everyone else. By "terms" I mean base/part time, not "terms and conditions". As far as they're concerned it's the same S%$£ for everyone!!!

Not sure that helps but it might give you an insight into the mindset of some of the recruiters.