PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2007, 19:00
Roobarb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has been an inevitable review process. Even the most optimistic and naïve amongst us would have imagined that we could have come out of it unscathed. The decimation of this country’s once revered pensions industry by the present government is a shameful episode which has destroyed the futures of many hard working people, their families, and their long term care. They will, if justice prevails, suffer their fate at the hands of the British electorate next time around.

For BA however, this has been a much harder smash and grab that they surely intended at the outset. The cynical opportunism of the management has been breathtaking. They had hoped that a big headline grabbing bung, would dupe the staff into accepting what would have been a devastating blow to their deferred salary and rightful reward.

What they hadn’t bargained on though, was a renewed and refocused BALPA council, with new reps and considerable expertise in the field of finance and accountancy, which was able to foil each and every one of their shabby tricks, in some cases even before the latest company offer hit the doormat.

I reject the accusation, in this one instance only however, that the senior guys have stuffed the juniors yet again. Considering BA would not even discuss BARP at the outset, I think the BACC have made amends for the reprehensible behaviour of some of our colleagues in the past.

In summary, BALPA have redeemed themselves, and are clearly a force to be reckoned with. Just like many others in the UK, our dotage will be less lucrative than before thanks to Gordon Brown’s loot and sack of the pensions industry. However, the sickening prospect of sniggering suits walking away thumbing through wads of cash is not as certain as it once was.

For that in itself, we owe the Moose and his estimable band of merry men our considerable gratitude. Gentlemen, may you never have to buy another beer.

I’ll take on the opposition anyday. It’s my management I can’t beat!