PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting times in Aussie SAR/EMS
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2007, 11:23
RWJackOfAllTrades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can of worms opened at EMQ? Here you have an organisation introducing cutting edge techonology - a helicopter which is pretty much the best machine for the job - the first of its type to be flown in Australia - and you believe that there crewies who are not wanting to take advantage of the training that has been offered in order to operate this new machinery and be the amongst the best and most professionally training EMS/SAR crewies in the world...and you believe there are people who are not wanting to step up, commit to doing some work and take advantage of what is a farking amazing opportunity. Wow!!!!

Shortarz - are you one of these over the hill crewies who is fat, dumb and happy in a comfort zone, soon to retire, short on energy and happy to be where you are and never better yourself and maybe work on improving on your professional abilities. It astounds the mind why people would not take advantage of such training. As said earlier on, I am only too happy for companies to invest training into me - whether it be a new aircraft endorsement, ongoing CRM training or anything else - anything a company will invest into you take it or step aside and let those who will take advantage of the training grab a seat and start moving up the grape vine. Sometimes you do stuff cause you want to, other times you do it to keep your job...your choice I guess at the end of the day.

Flying, whether as a crewman or a pilot or whatever, is an ongoing commitment to bettering oneself through training, experience and personal development in order to get the most of what is a great way to earn a living. None of us ever stop learning or gaining new skills. Sometimes we have to do stuff we do not like in order to keep our jobs or to move on up. At the end of the day, there will always be some keen young whipper snapper after our job, so its in our best interest to stay current, keep our skills up to date and be prepared to always help those coming through the system with the knowledge we've gained through experience.

Shortarz - if you are a crewie from this organisation (and it really sounds like it - especially given your new start date with PPRUNE) and you do not want to complete the training, then don't. Put your resignation in, grab a box of Kleenex tissues and head for the door with your retirement cheque. Others will move in and grab your opportunity. There are loads of people around the world who do not want to complete their ATPL's or instrument rating and they are always happy to whinge and bitch about everything...all whilst the world gets on and moves on around them. What exactly is the issue here? The requirement for you to expend some effort and become the best in your chosen field or what? What?

I'd love to hear what the issue is what this can of worms is exactly.