PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passengers were never in any danger
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2007, 04:09
golfjet744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Management Knows Best

Originally Posted by peuce
I guess my point is (bearing in mind I do not work for any airline) that as soon as Jetstar has a leaking fuel tank (which by all accounts is not an infrequent event within the world airline fleet) and passengers are put up in hotel, PPruners come down on them like a ton of bricks. We want explanations! We want answers!

Qantas flys for 10 hours with a 3 metre hole in its fuselage ... which is "assumed" to be of little significance by the company ... and it's suddenly good airmanship ... but let's keep it quiet.

To the casual observer, it smacks of double standards.
I don’t think anyone is picking on Jetstar for poor airmanship. In fact not taking the bus for a trip with a leaking tank is good airmanship. Full points to the Jetstar boys and girls.

I would suggest that the jetstar bashing over the PHNL debacle is more to do with the fact that Jetstar has been set up with the underlying principle that management knows best, and all the front line workers are greedy overpaid good for nothings.

Several engineers and pilots could have wandered into their manager’s office and prevented this delay from occurring (a couple of years ago this would have happened). But under the current ‘management knows best’ climate we all just sit back watch the resultant mess and shake our heads. When the company calls you for a favour to sort the mess out, we don’t answer unless contractually obliged. Sad isn’t it.

As for a QF worker wandering into the office to ensure that Jetstar runs smoothly, well that would be a bit like the USA funding al-Qa’ida – not very smart.

By the way the tire blow-out wasn’t kept quite. Sure it wasn’t publicised with a full page spread in the paper but it wasn’t hidden from anyone. QF safety did an investigation and I believe that CASA chose not to do an investigation because it was such a minor event. CASA do investigate QF from time to time and they are not always complimentary in their findings.