PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crashworthiness
Thread: crashworthiness
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2007, 00:50
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
crashworthiness

Some recent accidents prompted recent thinking on this subject. I've always been confident of walking away from any forced landing in a Pitts with the knowledge of what people have done to them and survived. Similar view of other types with a steel tube fuselage. Need to consider objects which may hit your head or equipment stupidly installed under the seat. eg fire extinguisher installation not really meeting the g loads for the design crash case.
I suppose that newer types certified to the current FAR 23 with stronger seats and head injury criteria are good but simply doesn't impress me enough. I believe that Airtourers are good in this respect although a much earlier design.
I've always thought that it would not be good to be in an accident with a fibreglass aircraft. Especially true of fibreglass ultralights, homebuilts and LSA's. Seems to me that people don't consider this when deciding what to buy or fly. The flash new .... looks very appealing and economical on the ramp at the local aero club but I'll stick with the rag and bones machine or an Airtourer.