PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 3
Thread: BRISTOL - 3
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2007, 13:37
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi W.

By coincidence my question about there being no such thing as bad publicity was put to the travel writer Simon Calder (he seems to have been as much in media evidence as Andrew Skipp in recent days) on today's BBC Bristol lunchtime tv news.

He came up with the idea that the whole country is now aware that Bristol is quite a busy airport with many flights which was not the national perception before all this happened. I take the point but does it mean any of these people living far from the west country would ever actually use BRS?

The way things are at the moment if a passenger falls down and twists his ankle getting off an aircraft the press will link it to the runway in some way -"Now passenger falls down near danger runway" sort of headline.

That cartoon reproduced in the R & N thread on the BRS situation is brilliant.

Today's Bristol Evening Post quotes 'industry sources' saying the airport will have lost around £500,000 as a result of the disruption. An easyJet spokeswoman said her airline will pay for the bussing of pax to the likes of CWL, BHX and LGW.

In the report Andrew Skipp admits, "Our communication with passengers has been bad. It should have been better". He also indicated that legal action was unlikely.

My considerable experience as a slf is that communication from airports/airlines in many places is often lacking; I would like to think that if nothing else this experience would concentrate the minds of those at BRS at least, but I won't hold my breath.

I have three rotations booked out of BRS in the next eight weeks. Fingers crossed the airport and its airlines have a smooth run for a while!!