PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asthma and impending initial class 1
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2007, 11:53
Simon150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asthma and impending initial class 1

I have my initial class 1 due in a couple of weeks. I have a history of mild asthma, which was quite bad when I was a child (less than 12 years old), but has got gradually better ever since. I last had any medication for it about 5 years ago when I was on both the blue and brown inhalers, and can't even remember having an attack. I do get breathless when running, but after sitting down for a bit, clear up OK and seems more breathless than wheezy.

Having read up on all the various threads on here (thanks guys) I decided it would be a good idea to get a bit fitter before the test.

I bought a feak flow meter, and got out the old exercise bike. Unfortunatly I am doing this alone, so the results are rather meaningless, and wondered if anybody else can give me an idea of whether these results are good, bad or disasterous!

I am 6 foot, and 30 years old which means my average peak flow should be 640l/min. Blimey, I normally get between 560 and 600 which is 'below average' as far as I am aware (going by the www.peakflow.com website).

After running on the running machine (in the conservatory with all the doors open to keep the air cool, which makes me worse!), at 7mph for 7 mins my peak flow is between 500 and 520 normally which is quite a change.

Ive got loads of data (I am an engineer!) but have no idea how it relates?

Does anybody out there know what a 'normal' peak flow is, how much it is normal to drop after exercise, and what the CAA are looking for. Basically am I wasting my time?

Getting desperate and paranoid....any help would be ace!