PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2007, 23:30
Chilli Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scooter boy
Chilli, I disagree with your sentiments.

I frequently travel Southwest to Northeast from Plymouth to Humberside and transit Bristol, Birmingham and East Midlands airspace without let or hindrance.
Then no doubt we have probably spoken (your postings suggest you haven't guessed what the day job is)

Perhaps I am missing something but AFAIK:

More controlled airspace = more controller workload = more controllers = more safety.
ROFL - sorry, it doesn't work that way. Beancounters rule, and Doncaster's ATC was done "on the cheap" from day 1

I would far rather Finningley be used as a regional airport (with late opening hours ATC and an ILS) than that beautiful long runway have weeds grow through it and be allowed to decay
I would rather we had more reasonably priced GA airfields with Pilot Controlled Lighting for night flying, far more useful - but - c'est la vie.

Let's look at this logically. How big a country do we live in? Much as the "save the runway" sentiment is lovely this one we could really have done without. There are better places the money could have been spent than right in the middle of 3 Airports already operating CAT , on the main military north south route, on the doorsteps of 4 GA airfields whose activities will be severely curtailed.

Bose - It's a New Year, the ban's cancelled mate