PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Places to go in a Supercub
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2007, 20:55
ex jump pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armstrong starter

Originally Posted by Lister Noble
I fly a n L4 Cub with an Armstrong starter.
I'm intrigued as to how you pull the chocks from the cockpit when they are stuck in front of the wheels?
Hmm
Well, without a picture*, I'll see about an explanation. You add another "rope" to the one that links the chocks. About mid way on the rope that is between the chocks, tie another one on. Take it back along the ground under the engine and behind the u/c strut and up onto the handle of the door (you'll need to leave the top door open and tie a loop onto your rope).
Once started and you are back in, throttle back and pull on your new rope. What you'll find is that the pull acts against the force holding the chocks in place. The pull will cause the chocks to move sideways (inwards) and then back to you. Take care the chocks don't hit the fabric on the u/c strut and lift the chocks into the cockpit and place them behind you.
I didn't think this up - our "engineer" did. Works a treat.
Throttle limiter
We have a 6" length of stout piano wire on the lhs in the groove at the bottom of the left hand window. The lh end is anchored and the rh end is bent down for about 1".
To use, the wire is looped over the the throttle (not the knob but the metal to which the knob is attached). The wire is the exact length to allow fast tickover but no more. It's a very handy arrangement as in the mucking about of getting strapped in, putting on headphones etc. either the pilot or the passenger's left hand elbow knocks the throttle open (except now it can't...).
* - might make a video of this for you (but wait for better weather please).
Roger