PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2007, 14:20
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chilli Monster
As that isn't likely to happen (it'll be the same person sat at the same screen) I fail to see your point.

And just wait and see how difficult it becomes to route from the south of the country to the north when this occurs. In one swift blow, unless the dimensions are changed, you will cut the country in half as far as GA is concerned.
Chilli, I disagree with your sentiments.

I frequently travel Southwest to Northeast from Plymouth to Humberside and transit Bristol, Birmingham and East Midlands airspace without let or hindrance.

All you need to do is ask and you will get a transit. ATC are invariably professional, courteous and accomodating - they are on our side as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps I am missing something but AFAIK:

More controlled airspace = more controller workload = more controllers = more safety.

I would far rather Finningley be used as a regional airport (with late opening hours ATC and an ILS) than that beautiful long runway have weeds grow through it and be allowed to decay (a fate that has befallen far too many ex-military airfields in this country).

Expansion of the controlled airspace around it for heavy/light traffic separation was always inevitable from a safety point of view.

SB