PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting times in Aussie SAR/EMS
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2007, 10:45
robsrich

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure.

Public notice above was from HAA website. As I am no longer a member, I can only follow this issue via notices on their website. I agree with your comment, the HAA Constitution allows representation, which is a good thing; but getting into operational standards, safety standards, conditions of employment, categories workers, OHS and other contractual matters with a CASA overview is beyond the boundaries of the present HAA Constitution and especially their resources at present.

Problem arises if only 10% of industry join HAA and speak for other 90%. Assuming their membership is about 200, and there are 1,330 helicopters and say at a guess 4,000 or more pilots, then the representation is rather low at say 5%.

With respect, an alternative may be the AFAP which covers various awards. The AFAP has the legal base, expertise and history in debating industrial matters, usually pay and conditions.

These are interesting times. Hopefully the HAA is being paid by CASA to undertake this form of self regulation?

Apart from research purposes (a CASA task) why do we need this system as suggested, if it is safety related?

Does anyone closer to the debate got an update? With all the changes looming on the horizon in the HEMS industry, it is easy to miss a ball or two?

Please tell us your thoughts….