PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 8th Jan 2007, 06:07
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=AirRabbit;3056370]

I think to have a better understanding one would have to go back further into the F/O’s flying career. There is that one suspicious account when flying the B-727 where both the Captain and the F/E remember him being quick to use massive rudder applications in an attempt to either maintain or, perhaps, from his perception, regain, control of the aircraft after having encountered wake turbulence. Determining why this particular incident was not followed might be an interesting effort – but perhaps the Captain and F/E believed the issue was isolated and had been properly addressed. I would wonder if any instructor or check airman ever noticed similar tendencies from this young man. It would be interesting to find out from the instructor who administered the AA Advanced Maneuver Training to this F/O if he demonstrated any tendency to “over control” the rudder during that training.

The exact testimony is here -

http://ntsb.gov/Events/2001/AA587/exhibits/240247.pdf

pages 36-44.

The F/E did not remember the incident that the Captain testified about. The Captain said he discussed it with the FO and it never happened again.

Don't take my word for it, read the testimony.