PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian licenses?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2002, 03:02
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiz, I haven't worked in Indonesia - have flown there plenty of times - but know many Aussies who have. Yes, your Aussie licence is recognised, and as is the case with Malaysia and Singapore a pass in Air Law (which doesn't require much study) will give you a local licence based on a validation of your Aussie one.
Bahasa Indonesia isn't required, but a little will help make YOUR life easier.

Having lived and worked in S.E. Asia for the past 12 years (Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Cambodia) please allow me to offer you an insight.
Forget about setting up your own company! To do that you'll HAVE to have an Indonesian partner, and don't they just love to fleece the bulehs of as much money as possible, before telling you that in spite of jumping through endless hoops, and spending bucketloads of money, you look like being unsuccessful...although another "donation" of $10,000 will probably see you get it!
Money is EVERYTHING in Indonesia, and if you have white skin you are a bottomless well of the stuff, as far as the locals are concerned!
[quote]I am having a bugga of a time getting any information from the Indonesians.<hr></blockquote>
....simply because you are not putting your hand in your pocket!
Even the Government workers expect a kickback for givng you ANY assistance, but you'll need to pick your mark - if you start giving handouts too far down the food chain, you'll end up forking out to hundreds of menials with no results.
You either have to get an Indonesian partner, and let him do the work (expect to get fleeced), or demand to see none other than the head of the Indonesian DCA. Have plenty of USD's handy - and I'm talking 50's and 100's at the upper levels! (expect to get fleeced).

[quote]I was thinking about jolly's around the coast and other tame VFR stuff.<hr></blockquote>
Forget it!
SWH has given you the FACTS on Indonesian flying: [quote]Just be careful what you wish for it may come true, the weather and terrain kill numerous pilots each year, it's by no means flat like Oz. LSALTS over 10,000 ft are not uncommon.<hr></blockquote>

BORAQ, and GARUDA used to employ expat F/O's, mainly on their 737's - the money was lousy, but most - if not all - of the guys who were there 6-7 years ago have commands or damned good jobs with other airlines, because of the (jet) experience they gained. There are stories circulating that more than one pilot who hadn't previously held an ATPL anywhere, paid a $2,000 USD once only (which is UNusual) "fee" (read bribe) to be issued with a full Indonesian ATP.

Forget about 411A's DREAM - it ain't gunna happen! He's a sad, bitter, old man - but don't take my word for it, read more of his posts on the Fragrant Harbour forum.

Best of luck Wiz - the lifestyle's great, the girls are beautiful, and bribery is an accepted part and parcel of Asian life...it generally starts at the top, and filters down through ALL levels. You only need to look at the record of Indonesia's Presidents, Malaysia's current P.M., and the Philippines' Marcos and Estrada for starters without scratching the surface.