PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ONUR AIR AGAIN and AGAIN
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 19:55
Nardi Riviera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“04 JAN 2007 Onur Air MD-88 suffers in-flight opening of cargo door
On January 1 the cargo door of an MD-88 operated by Onur Air opened during takeoff. The aircraft lost pressure while climbing through an altitude of 6000 feet. The crew decided to return to Istanbul. Upon touchdown the cargo door sprang open, causing luggage to fall onto the runway. (Flight International)”

Noticing the absence of MD-80 pilots know-how here… A bit wary about sticking my neck out, but decided to join the lowtimer-groupies (just too curious about the following):

Hard to believe that a PROPERLY LATCHED cargo door will open during takeoff.

IF UNLATCHED, there obviously should have been a WARNING LIGHT in the flightdeck, at latest detected when pilots performed the startup checklist.

Why would mentioned door open inwards upon decompression at low-level? Dunno if they’re spring-loaded, but reckon it takes the muscle of a baggage-handler to push them up to locked position… Airflow along fuselage will suck an outward opening door a few inches out, but to my knowledge (stand corrected) it will not push an inward opening door in – but rather hold it in place.

Picture linked by Diabolo shows the (alleged?) a/c in landing configuration (flaps 25’ish and low angle of attack). Door is apparently open, but I cannot detect to what extent.

The above summary by reliable Flight International, states that the cargo door sprang open upon touchdown and bags fell onto RWY. That I can believe, if the landing was hard enough. – So, what was that big emergency again???

“swing over” claims that FI editors are manipulated by airline managements. That is a fairly tall order, and I’d prefer more hard evidence to buy his point of view.

“Diabolo”, worrying that bags could’ve got into the engines, reveals that he is not a pilot… The door is below the engines, and gravity works even at 140 kts IAS!

This thread is cluttered by too many opinions and not enough facts. Sigh.