PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oh No! Its St Maarten time again
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 18:16
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as someone who has has operated in and out of St. Maarten more times than I can remember starting with a Jet Commander a long time ago (in the mid 1970s to be precise), various other jet aircraft including the 727 and lately a Falcon 50 and a Falcon 900 I can assure you that the airport is very safe.

I have sacrificed many, many hours of my off time in St. Maarten risking skin cancer from overexposure from the sun's rays and possible liver damage consuming large quantities of beer while sitting at the Sun Set Beach Bar studying and observing aircraft on final approach and landing.

I expect no rewards or acknowledgment from my unselfish actions and endless dedication to this very important study that I took at such a frightful risk to my health and well being. No my reward is that I can allay any fears about the safety of the airport in St. Maarten.

I must however admit that there were times that my intense concentration of observing the arrival of aircraft was some what interrupted by the sudden appearance of young members of the opposite sex wearing thong bikini bottoms and nothing else. However, let assure you that even the sight of 2 to 8 pairs of unclad bosom's belonging to very healthy young ladies could not deter me from my quest regarding the safety of flight. I do admit that I did occasionally miss the odd 747 landing or taking off, just a minor oversight mind you.

However, in interest of safety of flight in or around the St. Maarten airport I feel I should share with all of you something that possibly could affect safety of flight. I have on occasion witness a phenomena that in my humble opinion is rather unsafe to say the least. After 5 or 6 hours of researching the flavors of different beers and intensely observing arriving aircraft I would look up and suddenly see 2 aircraft of the exact same type and color in a very tight formation on final. I would immediately attempt to attract the attention of my fellow bar patrons so they could witness this obvious very dangerous action committed by possibly deranged fellow pilots. On these occasions my fellow bar patrons would appear to be ignoring my request to observe this strange site and move away from me, I could only assume that they were not as interested the safety of flight as I. By the time I returned my view to aircraft in formation, after failing to attract the attention of anyone else, the second aircraft in the formation would have disappeared. There would only be one aircraft on final. In spite of spending many more hours at the Sun Set Beach Bar trying to solve this mystery I could not come up with logical conclusion.

(I did report this to my fellow crew members the next day when I had seen these events and they assured me that I should not take any further action. Perhaps those 9/11 conspiracy people could shed some light on this subject?)

Okay, all kidding aside. I have operated in and out of St. Maarten (SXM) many times and it is a very safe airport. The weather there is nearly always excellent and when an occasional rain shower lowers visibility the shower does not last long.