PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 7th Jan 2007, 14:49
Kerosine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice/Help needed for a young'un.

I have spent the good part of my recent life wading through the pages of advice/debates/arguments/int and mods, however I dont find anything getting resolved in my head. The more I read, the more options open up, and I need a way of narrowing it down.
Here's my circumstances;

19 years old.
Education up to 3 A-levels (BBB) in sciences and AS level maths (C).
Working full time (approx £12k), no savings.
Parents cannot secure loan on house.
No hours.
I want a degree, but don't know how this fits in practicaly with getting my PPL/CPL/IR/ATPL (oh god!)
Desperate to fly (this means I can't just 'take my time' over the next 10 years, I need to get stuck in!)

My options as I see it;

Degree with flying (can I afford it? Will I get the loans with Uni? is it possible to do both without destroying your soul?)

Working with flying (how long will this take doing mod? Will I get the loans? job prospects?)

Intergrated (Money? money? money?..... Finance?)

My head is spinning, and I cant narrow it down, and truth be told, I don't know what I want more. Can someone find any reasons to rule out any of the above (such as no loans being available for modular?)

I'm sure there are people in my circumstance, especially whee money is concerned. Taking out personal loans at 20%+ APR is eyewatering if not impossible.

Which integrated/mod courses offer a finance package?
(How the ^%$£ are you supposed to pay back £730 p/m assuming you don't get an airline job staright away, as stated in the Jerez finance package?)

You may need a sit down and a cup of tea after reading that

Thankyou all.

Dave